Thursday, March 15, 2007

Now With 10% Less Mutton

I couldn’t find a statistic on how many Americans visited Mongolia in 2006, the year I went. So I am not able to feel as proud of myself as I was hoping. I did discover that in 2005, a total of 338,000 people visited the country, and that tourism is increasing by about 15% every year. I don’t know if that’s enough to label the place “up-and-coming,” but it does suggest the marketing department is doing some good. (Apparently the old slogan, “Like China, with vodka” tested well with Russians but still didn’t work out as well as they’d hoped.)

I pitched the idea of an article on Mongolia to an editor at Korean Air’s in-flight magazine. He said maybe. According to him, if they do decide to run a Mongolia story, John and I are in the running. The editor has worked with John before and likes his photography work, so I’m lucky that way.

No comments: