Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Bracing Myself

I sent out a new story yesterday, which means that in this electronic age, it is already boomeranging back to me, rejected today by two editors. Still, they couldn’t have been nicer. One told me that she’s only accepting freelance articles about the Southeastern United States (I just can’t make Shanghai’s Jewish quarter fit that description), and the other said he now has essentially no freelance budget. So I’m not taking it personally. At least they’re letting me know.

It’s starting to look like newspapers are a freelance dead-end, at least the ones I’ve been submitting to. As an experiment, I’ve tried sending a few articles that have already been through one round of rejections to a few places I hadn’t thought to try before. I’ll let you know how that goes. (With the speed at which rejection travels at sea level, it should only be a few more minutes.)

No comments: