Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Ultimate Cheap Ticket

I’ve never been to Shanghai mid-summer. I have been in the late spring, and it was already very hot. By mid-July, it must be so hot that you can’t believe it’s cold anywhere on earth. I bet if you told the average person in Shanghai right now that there’s a place just six miles away where it’s 40 degrees below zero, they’d laugh.

That’s the only explanation I can think of for this guy.

I’m always surprised, too, when I’m on a flight that has screens displaying the airspeed and outside temperature. It’s amazing to me that you can fly through the tropics and at 35,000 feet, it’s way below zero. What’s even harder to believe, though, is that the word hasn’t gotten out in the stowaway community that wheel wells are cold and unpressurized. You’d think this would be common knowledge among people who need to know these things.

What makes this a little more sad and horrifying for me is the fact that the flight this guy stowed away on is exactly the one Pipi and I will be taking home from Shanghai. It’s sobering to know that this trip is one that people will literally die for.

No comments: