Monday, May 07, 2007

Groundhog Day

Working at home can be like this, I guess: Recently my sister, who is in cooking school, announced that she needed to practice making a few dishes, and since our parents were out of town, Pipi and I ended up being the guinea pigs. (By which I mean we ate so much all we could do afterward was loll around and make happy little squeaking noises.)

Dinner was amazing enough, and then for dessert Hilary served profiteroles with caramel sauce made from scratch. Somehow Pipi and I ended up with the leftover sauce, which we put to creative use over the next few days. We found that it was surprisingly good over some strawberries that we happened to have around.

After this discovery, I went and got more strawberries at Farmer Joe’s, because we had a lot of caramel left. It was a good grocery store run; the aisles weren’t too crowded, and Blondie’s “The Tide is High” was playing in the background. It was followed by “Don’t Dream it’s Over,” another great 80s song, and I remember rolling down the aisle humming and thinking I’d come at just the right time.

Two days later, we were out of strawberries again. So I headed over to Farmer Joe’s for some more. As I cruised the produce area, I heard “The Tide is High” playing, and I suddenly realized that I could predict the future--I knew exactly what song was going to come next. Sure enough, it was Crowded House.

I feel like I’m in a little bit of a rut. Working at home can be like this, I guess.

No comments: