Thursday, April 05, 2007

Top Ten From Down Under

I stand corrected: There’s a chorus of “hey hey heys” at the end of “Sly.” I think that counts as nonsense. So “Sly” has three of the four possible great-song elements. No wonder I like it.

I didn’t mean to start another music post, though. I wanted to write about something else I’ve always admired about Australia: their movies. You almost can’t go wrong. I saw one once (Oscar and Lucinda) that was kind of boring, but I’ve liked every other Australian film that I can remember seeing. Here are some favorites, in rough chronological order.

  • Picnic at Hanging Rock
  • My Brilliant Career
  • Gallipoli
  • Starstruck
  • The Year of Living Dangerously
  • Rikky and Pete
  • The Sum of Us
  • The Adventures of Priscilla: Queen of the Desert
  • Moulin Rouge
  • Rabbit-Proof Fence

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about the movie about the oversize girl who loves ABBA. I think she finally gets married and plays ABBA at her wedding. Can't remember the name, but it was good.

Nicole said...

I forgot about that one! I think it's Muriel's Wedding. I did like that one.