Friday, February 02, 2007

Every Freelancer’s Dream

Actually, this is probably everyone’s dream: You hear the mail arrive, and go downstairs for it thinking, “Wouldn’t it be great if today someone sent me money I wasn’t expecting?”

Well, today it happened. I got a check for $50 from Doug Lansky, of Signspotting fame. This is a syndicated weekly column that highlights unintentionally funny signs sent in by travelers. I don’t know what sign they’re using. I have sent pictures of quite a few over the years. My round-the-world trip yielded several. (And I didn’t even have my camera handy when I saw the funniest one, a sign in Beijing pointing the way to the “Clubfoot ball team”—a soccer club, I think.)

I’m guessing it’s one of the pictures I took in Russia. For a European country, they have surpassingly strange signage. My mother and I had a good laugh over one at a church in St. Petersberg that had about 20 little cartoon pictures with slashes through them illustrating things you weren’t allowed to do on church grounds. This seemed to include sleepwalking, sledding, feature-film making, and wearing Speedo bathing suits. I hope that’s the one they use. I don’t know when exactly they’ll print it. The San Francisco Chronicle travel section carries the column, so I’ll just have to keep an eye out for it.

No comments: