Thursday, October 19, 2006

Like the Orkneys, but Not That Manic

Someone asked me what the least fun airline magazine is. I’m afraid I’m going to have to say Lufthansa’s. They’ve tried admirably for a bilingual publication, with the copy split into two sections on each page, one in German, and the other in English. Unfortunately, the English sounds a little clunky, sort of like ABBA lyrics. (Ironically, SAS magazine is written in very colloquial, fluent English.) And their features are all on places like an island north of Germany called (and I must stress that I’m not making this up) Sylt. I like albatrosses as much as the next travel writer, but I don’t think I’ll be heading to the frozen German north any time soon.

(After that critique, I probably also won’t be writing for Lufthansa Magazin any time soon, either. Sorry! I did like the article about Frieda Kahlo’s Mexico City.)

No comments: