Thursday, June 12, 2008

There’s No Place Like Home Part II



A few weeks ago, Pipi and I were driving through Oakland on Interstate 580, when I spotted a bumper sticker that I was pretty sure referred to my hometown. “Look,” I squealed, “Hamp!”

“What did you say?” Pipi asked me in a tone that said, “I’m trying to work with you, but this conversation has not gotten off to a promising start.”

“Hamp, HAMP,” I repeated, as if volume were the only problem; as if everyone in California knew that old-time Northampton guys refer to the town as “Hamp.”

“How are you spelling this?” Pipi finally asked, and I realized that along with my Northampton pride, I’d also experienced an upwelling of my Northampton accent. This twang, which has more in common with upstate New York and even the upper Midwest than it does with Boston, has a Cockney-like disdain for internal consonants. (Remember the nursery rhyme about the three little kittens? In my childhood, they were called “kih-ins,” and they’d lost their mih-ins.) The accent also strangles “A”s to within an inch of their lives. My “Hamp” apparently came out more like “Heeamp,” confusing Pipi, who’s never known me to be much of a rope-maker.

This kind of misunderstanding doesn’t usually happen when I’m visiting Massachusetts, and that’s one thing I love about it. I don’t have to watch my vowels. No one asks me to repeat myself if I mention a tag (yard) sale, or gets shrill if I utter the phrase “packie store.” (It’s short for “package,” and means a place to buy a six-pack of beer.)

In Massachusetts, I order a grinder and I get a hot sandwich, not a blank look. People here speak my language. And like me, they’re prone to pronouncing it “leeanguage” if they’re not policing themselves.

It may not always sound nice, but it feels like home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicole, How did you find a daylight hour without a car parked in front of 261 plus a perfectly parked bicycle there? This must be staged.

Unknown said...

Also, how long did it take to get a picture without anyone sitting on the doorstep drinking coffee from Dunkin' Donuts? (Does "Dunkin' Donuts" actually have an apostrophe? And speaking of which, how far west to do you have to go before no one knows what you're talking about when you say, "Time to make the donuts!")

Nicole said...

I don't know how I got so lucky with the cars. It was so hot the day I took the photo that I suspect cars were spontaneously combusting on Main Street.

That's a good question about the Dunkin' Donuts ad. I think they have Dunkin' Donuts in L.A. now. I know I saw a franchise in Auckland, New Zealand. I don't know how far west people saw that ad in the 80s, though.

Thanks to Youtube, anyone can see it now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY0Ecn393qI

Nicole said...

Also, on Saturday night, someone (not me!) threw up on the sidewalk in front of the house. That made the steps a slightly less attractive place to smoke and drink coffee. (So it wasn't all bad.)