Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Five Days and Counting

This is another quote I can’t verify, not that I haven’t tried. Maybe I made it up, but I don’t think so. I am sure that somewhere I read a quote by Anne Morrow Lindberg where she was reflecting on how the eve of a trip feels. She did like to travel, and was always happy once the trip was really underway, but she said that just before departure, the thought of leaving made her feel like a little snail that someone is attempting to peel from her rock. (I guess we know now why Charles left her at home that time he flew to Paris.)

I’m feeling a little snailish myself right now. I know I’ll be excited once I touch down in Tokyo, but right now? Barnacle city. I feel like I’m still stuck to this rock, and will be until I finish an impossible amount of reading, write an impossible number of pitches, and tie up an impossible number of last-minute details. It may take archeological tools to detach me from my apartment and get me on the plane.

Of course, once I’m on the plane, it will be too late to get any of the trip preparation stuff done. Nothing to do then but relax and watch the movie.

No comments: