The next time I travel, everyone’s getting gift certificates.
Interestingly, everyone keeps asking me what I’m packing. I find this odd, since I think I’ve pretty clearly demonstrated a complete obliviousness to what constitutes normal clothing choices. Whenever I am in Europe, for example, I am invariably addressed first in German, no matter what country I’m actually in. I’d like to think it’s my blue eyes and pink cheeks. But I know it isn’t. I know it’s my choice in footwear.
So asking me for packing advice is a little bit like asking a guy sleeping in a doorway wearing three hats what vintage you should take to a dinner party. But since people seem to want to know:
- 2 pairs of long pants
- 1 pair of ez-wash shorts
- 5 solid-colored t-shirts
- 1 workout t-shirt
- 1 button-down short-sleeved shirt
- 1 sweatshirt
- 10 pairs of socks, assorted black and white
- 1 bathing suit
- gym shorts
- casual walking shoes
- 10 pairs unmentionables
- 6 months worth of backlogged magazines
- 4 guidebooks (2 Trans-Siberian, 1 Shanghai, one Japan)
- The Kite Runner
- An absurd amount of toiletries (six week’s worth) so I am not reduced to having to buy Darkie toothpaste while I’m away.
- Also a jar of Woolite
- Assorted other gifts and trinkets, which I will be glad to be rid of. Sometimes giving really does feel good.