Wednesday, December 21, 2005

And Another Thing

One more reason to hang out at the airport: The international terminal aviation museum. It’s free, and it’s located before the security point, so you don’t have to be traveling to get to it. In fact, I bet a lot of visitors are local. I know that whenever I’m traveling through the international terminal, I’m usually too worried about flight times, meals, passports, pit stops, and keeping track of my various airplane amusements to be bothered with finding the museum. Besides, if I’m in the international terminal, I’m usually headed someplace that’s lousy with museums.

But it’s worth checking out. It’s even worth a trip down from San Francisco on BART. Right now they’ve got an exhibit on the late, great Pan Am. Fun fact: Pan Am’s first-ever scheduled passenger flight, which took place in the early thirties, was a 90-minute hop from Key West to Havana. It cost $50, which must have been a fortune in those days. Interesting, no? There’s more where that came from. Check it out if you get the chance.

No comments: